Eating while on Modafinil is a personal decision. For me, I find that if I fast or eat a keto meal during the day - consisting of proteins and healthy fats, then I experience zero crashing or side effects.
Many people take Modafinil for two reasons:
- To increase productivity
- To lose weight
A large meal will nullify both of these benefits because it increases your blood glucose levels, putting you in fat-storing mode rather than fat-burning mode (your body is trying to store energy in case food sources become scarce).
In addition to increased blood glucose levels, a heavy meal will likely slow you down if taken during your "peak" hours, which can be a real pain if you're working on something time-sensitive.
That being said, I would highly suggest that if you're going to take Modafinil then try it out on an empty stomach first.
Modafinil On An Empty Stomach
I've been taking Modafinil on an empty stomach for the last year (on-and-off) and I haven't really noticed anything worth mentioning (this is just my personal experience so keep that in mind.)
It's when I combine Modafinil with carbs that I get into trouble.
For this reason, I would highly recommend you do a short-term fast if you're taking it to assess its effects on you.
If you're going to eat while on Modafinil then I would suggest avoiding refined carbs and high-glycemic meals like pure sugar, pastries, pasta, rice etc (basically any food that spikes insulin levels).
Instead try a high-fat, low-carb meal like a steak and eggs with veggies.
If you do manage to eat while on Modafinil then I would recommend taking note of any unusual symptoms.
In my experience, I have gotten just a few instances of slight stomach problems when eating after taking Modafinil.
However, these side effects are temporary and usually go away within a couple of hours.
That being said, Modafinil usually suppresses my appetite anyway so stomach problems aren't really a concern of mine.
Best Foods To Eat On Modafinil
As mentioned above, I highly recommend doing a fast if you're going to take Modafinil. If you do want to eat, however, here's what I would recommend.
My go-to meals are:
- Steak and eggs with veggies
- Salmon with veggies.
These are great for increasing energy levels. I personally don't eat anything when I take Modafinil - other than my vitamins - but many people have different results depending on their diet (i.e. keto vs high-carb diets).
In addition, I've found more success with keto meals like steak and veggies than eating carbs.
In other words, if you're not going to fast then make sure that you eat a low-carb meal.
The least ideal meals to eat while on Modafinil are:
- Pastries (anything fried and sugar-based)
- Bagels, breads, and pastas (anything super carb-loaded or that spikes blood sugar levels).
If you do have the desire to take Modafinil for weight loss purposes then I'd highly recommend sticking to a keto diet. That being said, I find that eating low on the glycemic index also increases my mental alertness as well.
Any other tips?
- Take Modafinil at the same time each day. I personally take mine before 11:00 AM because it keeps me awake if taking later in the day.
- Take Modafinil on an empty stomach when possible.
- If you're eating while on Modafinil and getting stomach problems, try fasting.
- If you're planning on taking Modafinil then I highly recommend picking up a supplement that will help support your brain. I personally use Vitamin B12 (for its high bioavailability) in the morning with each dose of Modafinil.
- Eat wisely throughout the day to ensure your body has everything it needs nutritionally (i.e. good fats like extra virgin olive oil, healthy protein sources like lean meats, etc.).
- Remember to cycle your Modafinil. Modafinil is not good for you long-term as it messes with your neurotransmitter levels (serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine etc.).
That being said, I wouldn't exceed a 3-week cycle (1-month max).
Here's a list of things to avoid while taking Modafinil:
- Don't take any drugs or supplements that interfere with adrenergic receptors. This includes things like beta blockers or alpha blockers.
- Don't take any drugs or supplements that interfere with dopaminergic receptors (like cocaine or amphetamine).
- Don't take any drugs or supplements that interfere with cholinergic receptors.
This includes things like over-the-counter cold medicine like NyQuil, decongestants like Sudafed, and antihistamines.
- Don't drink alcohol while taking it. Modafinil is a stimulant, while alcohol is a depressant, which will lead to a adverse reaction.
When I am taking Modafinil I do not eat anything, but this is ultimately a personal choice.
That being said, you will want to avoid carbohydrates and refined foods as these foods will increase insulin levels which can cause additional side effects.
If you are going to eat while on Modafinil then I highly recommend sticking to low glycemic index foods and high fat/protein as those will help support your brain while you're taking it.